Monday, March 31, 2008

It's been on my mind for awhile...


(Such a little sun hog!)

I know that the life of my BEST friend is not eternal...(He is the ONLY living being that has earned the rank of "BEST")...I am completely aware that someday, he will be leaving me to cross the Rainbow Bridge to greener pastures, free from pain, free of old age and free of his own royal crankiness. I can only hope they have a big stock of chicken and Cheez-it's over there - they'll need it!

Seriously...Smokie, my almost to be 17 year old Persian cat - we've been through a LOT over the last 16 years together...many other dogs and cats, breakups, divorcing, traveling and moving to 4 different states and all of the other places we've visited in between. The signs of old age is really starting to show - he doesn't take care of himself like he used to, he's slowed down a LOT over the last 2 years.

Anyways...I know that eventually I'll have to make plans for Smokie for his final arrangements and all that comes with it. I've been searching for crematories in the area (Boston Metro area - including all of Mass and Rhode Island) and have been thinking of getting pre-planning started so that when his time comes, I won't be going nutso trying to figure out what to do...it'll already be planned.

I'm not making this post sound sad or heartbreaking. I am completely aware that this day is going to come, whether or not I'm the one that decides which day. Coming from a family of funeral directors, I understand the pre planning process and the reasons it's so important - whether it be for myself, another loved one or my best friend.

I already know the plans I have, it's just finding a place to make the arrangements with - I have a couple in mind - picking up the phone today to call about everything is the hardest part, I think.

So, here is to making those calls today and getting past that and moving forwards towards peace and all things beautiful.


(Begging for chicken and cheez-it's!!)

1 comment:

Chelsea Parsons said...

ohhhh! When we got the rabbit for the girls the other day we had the talk "one day he will die" with them. I have had so many awesome animals and its so hard when they do get old. Keep enjoying your beautiful cat...